Summer is the favorable season for fruit trees because of its warm weather but it can also be a demoralizing season if you are attempting to eliminate pests around your cooking space in your kitchen. We have an easy and simple solution for your problem, it is not a hard nut to crack to get rid of bugs and rodents, just using pest repelling plants for this purpose. Using plants to repel pests is a 100% natural method and has no side effects on your health and is better for your family. Insecticides and rodenticides are extremely poisonous and demolish the ecosystem so, don’t trust them. Here are 10 varieties of plants that are naturally pest deterrents.
Lemongrass is an aromatic grass-like herb native to maritime Southeast Asia but originally grown in tropical regions all over the world. You can buy lemongrass from the herb section of any local plant store. Lemongrass can thrive in hot climates and rise up to 4 feet in height in only one season so, planting it in enough space. Lemongrass is a champion in resistance to the pest.
Uses of Lemongrass
- Lemongrass is not just a pest repellent, it is also a natural ingredient in Southeast Asian dishes.
- You can use lemongrass to prepare salads, soups, and curry pop.
- You can also use it to add citrus flavor to roasted meats.
Citronella grass is always ready to fight mosquitos during the summer season. It is native to tropical regions of Asia such as Indonesia, Burma, and Sri Lanka. Lemongrass and Citronella are very similar to each other in regard to smell. Don’t confuse Citronella grass with lemongrass because Citronella grass feature reddish-colored pseudostems while lemongrass is all green. Citronella is also used as a main ingredient in mosquito spray. Mosquitoes hate the scent of Citronella grass and always try to go away from it. Luckily, nature bestows us with Citronella grass to make summer evenings peaceful and delightful. You can place it where it can get enough indirect light and well-drained soil.
Uses of Citronella Grass
- You can use Citronella grass to eradicate lice and other parasites.
- It is also used to reduce stress and depression levels.
- It can be used as a muscle relaxer and is anti-bacterial.
- Citronella Grass can be used as a detergent in many cleaning products.
If you are fed up with using insecticide for getting rid of pests then you can place an ultimate and fast pest-repelling plant in your kitchen. It is also known as mums. Chrysanthemums produce pyrethrin which assists you to drive away lice, mites, beetles, roaches, and bed bugs from your kitchen.
Marigold has the natural ability to repel squash bugs. Tomato worms and mosquitoes. You can also place it near the window of your kitchen to prevent fruits and sweets from pests. Don’t let flies eat your summer barbecue and sweet dishes and put marigolds in the corner of your kitchen. The pungent scent of Marigolds discourages mosquitoes, aphids, and rabbits from entering your home.
Uses of Marigold
- Marigolds are a source of essential oil used in the perfume industry at a huge level.
- It is a natural ingredient to lessen acne on your skin in the fastest way.
- Tabaco Industry is also thankful to nature for bestowing this useful
- You can use it for topping your melodious cakes and cupcakes.
- The flower petals of Marigold are the best alternative to saffron and put some zesty flavor in a colossal number of dishes.
- If you have scrapes and burn during preparing your meal, you can rub the petals of the marigold’s flower on the affected place because it will give you relief from pain and encourage new skin
- Chickens are crazy to snack on fresh or dried Marigolds, it will help to enhance their yolk color’s intensity.
Catnip is one of the outstanding natural pest deterrents. It was native to Europe and Asia. Catnip is a main member of the mint family with a glossy green look, triangular-shaped jagged leaves, and tiny white flowers. These strong-smelling herbs don’t permit cockroaches and all flying insects to enter your kitchen. If you have a cat as a pet then catnip is made only for you because cats love catnip. Be careful, eating plenty of catnip may be harmful to your fur babies.
Benefits of Catnip
- You can make catnip tea with it by just mixing 2 tablespoons of dried catnip leaves in 1 cup of hot water, adding lemon juice and honey. Catnip teas can be used to deal with depression, insomnia, cough, fever, and gastrointestinal problems.
- Catnip’s active component (Nepeta cataria) repels all insects by activating chemical receptor that causes pain or itch.
- Catnip essential oil is more productive as compared to Chemical DEET which is used mostly in pest repellent.
Venus flytrap (Dionaea muscipula)
Say goodbye to mosquitoes, bugs, flies, beetles, and rodents, and do friends with the best pest cleaner Venus flytrap. The common name of this unique plant is Venus flytrap, Venus means the roman goddess of love. While species name of this plant is muscipula means mousetrap or flytrap. They are originally grown in South and North Carolina. One thing that made this carnivores plant different from others is the ability to trap and digest tiny insects.
Benefits of Venus flytrap
- Glands on the leaf turn the green color of the leaf into rosy pink color from the inner side after a long procedure of digesting.
- A combination of green and rosy-pink leaves enhances the beauty of your kitchen. This bulb-like rootstock plant consists of seven leaves that have blades that are pivoted along the midline with pointed and sharp teeth for trapping.
- Their sharp teeth are always ready for catching the insects like lions always ready to attack dear with open mouths.
Mint plant is the most demanding fresh green herb for growing indoors in containers all over the world. If you are irritated from ants in your kitchen then place a few mint stems near suspected places where ants enter and get rid of ants within a few days. The essential oil found in Mint leaves is effective and outstanding mosquito repellent. A clay pot is the best place for growing mint plants well because it allows the feet of mint plants to keep them slightly wet.
Uses of Mint Plant
- Mint is often used for sprinkling over fruits, meat or chicken dishes, and all types of rice. You can also make mint pesto by combining basil and Cilantro.
- You can keep mint stems in a fruit basket for keeping fruits fresh.
- If you are a lepidopterist then the mint plant is for you because it attracts butterflies the most.
- Mint can reduce stress and anxiety levels and encourage proper sleep.
- Place the mint plants in your kitchen and make your air free from bacteria and viruses.
- You can make your own mouthwash for freshness and mint tea to maintain your digestive system.
- You can also prepare mint magenta by adding lemonade, sugar, ice cubes, and fresh mint leaves at home.
Parsley is an aromatic and green herb with small leaves. Parsley has naturally grown in central and southern Europe. Parsley leaves have a fresh and slightly strong aroma and tangy-sweet taste. Parsley is a symbol of happiness and celebration. It also plays an important role as a pest repellent against asparagus beetles.
Uses of Parsley herb
- Parsley can keep your mind fresh and healthy.
- You can just make parsley tea by boiling water and parsley.
- You can use parsley in soups and sauces for making your day.
- Don’t forget to add parsley in cooking because it is a good source of vitamins C, A, K, and iron. Now keep you and your family healthy by adding parsley to your daily routine. If you suffer from allergic reactions then consuming parsley is best for you.
Lavender is a herb that originally grow in Northern Africa. You can use Lavender in numerous ways in your kitchen. Lavender can help you to get rid of beetles, moths, mice, and insects. You can keep lavender buds in your kitchen cabinets and drawers to drive away insects from your kitchen.
Uses of Lavender Herb
- You can make syrup with lavender for the summer season. You can also use lavender buds for garnishing desserts and baking bread.
- It is not just a pest repellent, Vibrant colors of lavender can adore your kitchen appearance and the fragrance of fresh lavender buds can make your day energetic.
- It is mostly used to add a floral taste to lamb and fish dishes.
- Lavender will show good results in enough light, moist soil, and good You can put lavender buds in your expensive clothes and a fruit basket to repeal bugs.
- Lavender is good for hair growth. The south window of your kitchen is the best place for Lavender for receiving enough light.