Are you looking forward to big-leafed houseplants that will compliment your kitchen décor? If so, you are landing just right place! Houseplants with big green leaves make an eye-catching and astonishing statement in kitchen. Their remarkable and rich foliage is a reasonable and satisfactory way to brighten up your kitchen space.
You can transform your kitchen into an indoor jungle oasis with these stunning houseplants. Here, you will find 10 majestic indoor plants that can make dazzling your dark corner of the kitchen and could be perfect addition to your own indoor garden. Let’s take a glance at our dearest big leaf indoor plants for kitchen.
African Mask Plant (Alocasia amazonica)
The African Mask Plant is a trendy houseplant features by large dark green heart-shaped leaves with waxy edges. These heart-shaped leaves magnified by deep silvery white or mint green veining with splash of purple inside. African Mask plant is basically native to Philippines and got its name due to big leaf foliage which is similar to African Mask. It is also known as Alocasia Polly. If you planted this gorgeous plant outdoor, it will provide vibrant orange berries which are harmful to the health of humans and pets.
Basic Care guide for the African Mask Plant
- African Mask Plant does their best in bright indirect light so, place it near the south-facing window of your kitchen. Keep away it from the harsh direct sunlight because it may burn the beauty of your green friend.
- Water your elegant plant regularly during active growing season (spring and summer). When 2 inches of soil feel dry out to the touch then it is time to water your African Mask Plant. Avoid from overwatering because it can kill your sensitive plant.
- You can use 3 inch plastic pot with well-draining soil for African Mask plant because it will hold moisture longer.
- If you wish to thrive your plant for a longer time then repot it in fresh soil every year.
Banana Tree Plant (Musa)
This tropical pet- friendly indoor plant is one of the glamorous plant. It is an ideal and beautiful addition to your collection and in the heart of your house. It’s huge and glossy yellowish- green paddle shaped leaves with large trunk bestow your kitchen with natural look. If you have a huge space in your kitchen, banana plant can become your dreamy plant and it can nourish your family with different varieties of banana.
Unique Varieties of Banana to grow indoor
- Blue Java Banana
They can grow up to 15 to 20 ft. Height. They are spongy in texture and juicy in taste while bluish-green or bluish-silver in color. You can use this type of banana for making fruit trifles, pancakes and muffins.
- Red Banana
Red Banana are also known as Red Dacca. They are stunning pinkish inside and reddish-purple outside. They have creamy texture and sweeter as compared to yellow banana. It is an excellent source of vitamin C, potassium and fiber. Consuming red banana can save you from kidney stones.
- Cavendish Banana
Cavendish banana are green in color when they are unripe, bright yellow when they are ripe and brown when they are spoiled. They have oily texture and heavenly sweet taste. This is not best type to grow indoor because they have large thin leaves and require a vast space to thrive.
How to Grow and Care your Banana Plant?
- Banana plant loves to thrive in full exposure of sun instead of indirect light. Place it where it can get a lot of sunlight. When banana plant can’t receive enough sunlight during cold freezing days of winter, just place it under the growing lamp which help it to stay healthy and energetic.
- Banana plants prefer warm temperature and humidity. Indoor temperature between 67- 90 Degree F is acceptable for Banana plant and keep away your tropical plant from drafty areas.
- When 2 inches of soil feel dry out to the touch then it is time to water your Banana Plant. Avoid from overwatering because it can kill your tropical plant. Keep the soil moist but not soggy.
- Provide a healthy dose of fertilizer your banana plant once a month.
- Sometimes, your plant may suffer from leaf diseases like powdery mildew due to high humidity level in the absence of air flow. In this case, remove affected leaves and let a fan gently blow over the leaves.
Bird of paradise (Strelitzia reginae)
Bird of paradise is one of the most popular and demanding indoor tropical flowering plants and native to South Africa. It earned its unique name due to its flower shape which resembles bird wings. This tropical indoor plant can reach up to 6-7 feet tall and 4 feet wide at maturity level. Bird of paradise may toxic for humans, your fur babies, dogs (faithful animal) and horses. This tropical plant have thick and large deep green waxy leaves which scattering out in the form of layers from the central stalk.
How to grow and Care for Bird of paradise?
- Keep the soil moist but not soggy for the pleasure and satisfaction of your bird of paradise. You can use soil probe tool to check the moisture level in soil and allow the top 2-3 inches of soil dry out before watering again.
- Protect your tropical green friend from drafty areas and provide high humidity level with the help of humidifier otherwise you notice signs of stress in the growth of your green friend.
- Bird of paradise prefer slightly acidic, loamy and well-drained soil to grow properly.
- This tropical plant appreciate direct light of morning sun and semi-shade in afternoon.
Elephant Ear Plant (Colocasia)
This low-maintenance and tropical plant native to South America. Elephant ear plant earned its name from their large and arrowhead- shaped leaves. They are commonly grown outdoor but also do their best in pots. Elephant Ear plant come in numerous varieties of colors and sizes. Keep away it from pets because it can toxic if ingested.
How to Grow and Care your Elephant Ear Plant?
- Elephant Ear Plant does their best in bright indirect light so, place it near the south-facing window of your kitchen. Keep away it from the harsh direct sunlight because it may burn the beauty of your green friend.
- Elephant Ear plant loves warm weather and hate freezing cold temperature because it can kill the beauty of foliage and demolish tubers.
- When 2 inches of soil feel dry out to the touch then it is time to water your green friend. Avoid from overwatering because it can kill your tropical plant. Keep the soil moist but not soggy.
Cast Iron Plant (Aspidistra Elatior)
Cast Iron Plant is one of the most beloved houseplants that have arching and large deep green leaves. Because it is as sturdy and unyielding as a cast iron pan, the cast iron plant earned its name. It is best for indoor because it can thrive appropriately in dim light. Its dark green and glistening leaves make your kitchen more beautiful. Be patient about it because it requires more time to grow.
How to Grow and Care your Cast Iron Plant?
- This plant loves soil that is a little moist but hates soggy.
- You should not keep it at a shallow temperature.
- You can keep Cast iron Plant anywhere in the home because it is not toxic for pets.
- If you notice that the leaves of cast Iron plants turn light brown, then keep away from the tropical and dazzling rays of the sun.
- To ensure the soil is arid before watering, always check.
Chinese evergreen Plant
Botanical name of Chinese evergreen plant is Aglaonema spp. Chinese evergreen plant is one of the indoor plants with large glossy and pointed leaves. This outstanding kitchen plant is native to tropical and subtropical forest of Asia and New Guinea. Silver bay is one of the most common varieties of Chinese evergreen plant. Spruce up the kitchen with natural beauty of Chinese evergreen plant.
How to grow and Care Chinese evergreen Plant?
- Always keep Chinese evergreen plant away from pets because it contains calcium oxalate that are toxic to pets.
- Keep soil moist but always allow soil to become dry before watering. Yellow leaves may a sign of copper deficiency and overwatering.
- Make sure that plant get sufficient amount of water and raise humidity level otherwise fresh green leaves of plant will turn into brown color.
- It feel comfortable in indirect light.
- Don’t over- fertilization of your plant otherwise you face curled leaves of plant. It takes more time for growth as compared to others houseplants.
Spider plants have a green and white rosette of long thin leaves, which gives the plant a unique look. Spider plant has excellent proficiency in purifying the air of pollutants and eradicating different stinking odors. If you really like to maintain your kitchen free from fragrances and poisonous smoke, then the Spider plant is vital for your kitchen.
Benefits of Spider Plant
- Spider plants are also a significant source of increasing humidity and decreasing stress levels.
- Spider plants add bright colors to your life and make you satisfied.
- It is easy to grow because it does not require more water and light.
- Place spider plants in your kitchen and breathe in an ozone-free environment.